Sunday, January 29, 2012

a funny story about a mural in Williamsport, PA...






















This past weekend I took a road trip with my mom to visit her Mother-in-Law Mrs. B. in Williamsport, PA. We stayed overnight and the next morning Mrs. B. said, "I lay awake last night thinking I need to remember to tell you to see this mural." She knew of my interest in art, and thought I'd enjoy this local spectacle in downtown Williamsport.

So when the three of us ventured out for lunch, my mom made a point to drive to this mural, which covers the buildings on 3 sides of a parking alcove. I'm not sure what the buildings currently house - Mrs. B., who has lived in Williamsport most of her life, said they used to be "beer halls."

The murals were amazing, filled with crowds of human figures (including famous faces as diverse as Sam Clemens, Frederick Douglas and Bonnie Rait!) and so many ornate details to be studied it would take longer than our short visit. I snapped as many quick photos as I could (most are pretty crummy) and on we went to lunch.

When I returned home, I hit Google for more information about the intriguing murals. What a surprise to discover they were painted by Tim's old Sheridan College roommate Mike Pilato!


more information about his mural work here on Mike's website


(p.s. The Genetti Hotel is Mrs. B's favorite place to dine, though we had lunch elsewhere that day...)