Saturday, July 14, 2012

my first time "sidewalk chalking"

participating in the Perry Chalk Art Festival -

The theme was "Food for Thought" - open to artist's interpretation...
So my approach was to depict the "edible bounty" of the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes, specifically what is most common in Perry (according to a friend who lives there) - apple orchards, fields of wheat, dairy and sunflowers
(style inspired by two of my favorite artists: Mary Blair & Sabra Field)





my knees still hurt from kneeling on that carpet scrap

my finished square - I wanted to finesse the colors a bit more, but time was running out and it was soooooo hot I couldn't see as well by this point either, getting seriously dehydrated:

some of my favorites by other artists:
- very pretty & graceful
(clever!) Eating = mind curiosity² -
- like a Tibetan sand mandala
gorgeous bright colors -

it was a fun event, with a specially designated area just for chalking

one of the best parts was being able to listen to the live music happening under the tent the entire time

lotsa variety in artist's interpretations of the theme